Tuesday, December 27, 2011

JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE WITH PUMPKIN AND ALMONDS

(Text in English is below. Türkçe tarif için burayi tiklayin)

A couple of days ago I tried this pumpkin parfait with brownie. With the remaining pumpkin that I have I thought I’d make some pumpkin soup. I had also some Jerusalem artichokes that I got from the open air market a week ago and I needed to do something with it when it was still fresh. Then I thought “hmm, let’s forget about the soup and try to combine these two together”.
Jerusalem artichokes, called also sunchokes, are actually not artichokes. They are like potatoes, however sweeter in taste. They are said to be quite healthy and a must-have on the table at least once a year! 

Normally Jerusalem artichokes are prepared as a vegetable dish cooked with olive oil. In Turkey, these sorts of dishes are called “zeytinyagli” (meaning “with olive oil”) and they are usually served as cold starters, not as main dish. However, there are many people who cook bigger portions of these “zeytinyagli” stuff and have it as main dish. It is quite vegetarian and healthy.  

As for the Jerusalem artichokes are concerned, there is this particular recipe called “Jerusalem artichokes with orange”; I have based my recipe on this one; I added the pumpkins and the almonds and I omitted the extra sugar in the recipe. It was delicious, I am glad I tried it this way. 
 As I said, Jerusalem artichokes are quite sweet just as the pumpkin so it was a mild combination of sweet flavors – that’s why the extra sugar is not necessary. I think it would also make a great combination with red meat.

Here we go:

Ingredients: (serves 3 – 4)
1 kilo of Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and washed, cubed 

jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cubed












3 slices of pumpkin, cubed
1 carrot, ringed

pumpkin cubed and carrots










1 medium sized onion, ringed
1 small to medium potato, cubed (smaller than the cubes of the pumpkin)
1 glass of orange juice
 3 spoons of olive oil
A handful of almonds
Salt

Method:

  1. Sauté the onions in the olive oil for one minute.
  2. Add the carrot and the almonds and continue sautéing.
  3. Add the Jerusalem artichokes, the pumpkin and sauté for a minute more.
  4. Add the potatoes and the glass of orange juice. Close the lid and let it simmer. It takes 15 to 20 minutes till it is ready.
  5. Add salt to your liking.

step 2
delicious jerusalem artichokes with pumpkin


yummy ending

No comments:

Post a Comment