Saturday, December 17, 2011

BLACK-EYED BEANS SALAD


Bean stuff is not my thing however I am aware that I should consume beans as well. Black-eyed beans are not really the most popular type of pulse in Turkey. Borlotti beans and of course cannellini beans are well quite popular. Borlotti beans are consumed as main dish and as well as cold starter on a fish table. Cannellini beans are served as main dish accompanied with pilaf. Many people love cannellini beans and they consume it every week or every two weeks. 

As I don’t like pulses very much, I don’t cook them very often. Black-eyed peas I wanted to try in order to see if I’ll like it or not. Well, they are ok for me. They are pulses after all :D 

After a bit of research on black-eyed beans and how they are often prepared in Turkey, I came across with a few recipes from the west coast region of Turkey. I found a very interesting recipe but however it will have to be for some other time as I didn’t have some of the ingredients at home. Instead, I had to satisfy myself with this light black-eyed beans salad. I think it is very tasty, and it can be consumed as only-salad dinner or just as mezze. 

I think I might post the other very interesting recipe quite soon because I boiled enough black-eyed beans this time in order to stock in the deep freeze to have it ready for some other time soon. 

Ingredients: (serves 2)
1 glass of black-eyed beans, boiled and drained (soak the black-eyed beans overnight in cold water and the next day boil it)

black-eyed peas boiled















1 – 2 spring onions, chopped
1 small red onion, sliced
A handful of walnuts, chopped
1 – 2 spoons of pomegranate molasses, or lemon juice
1 – 2 spoons of olive oil
Half a bundle of parsley (or a bit less - you decide how green you want your salad), chopped

Method:  

Mix all the ingredients. 


black-eyed peas salad

No comments:

Post a Comment