In the summer, I have bought some 6 kilos of peas when they were at their best: big and sweet! And after having shelling the pods, I made half kilo bags of peas and put them in the deep freezer. Now, we have peas in the winter from time to time. They are so sweet and yummy!
The recipe I will share here is the typical stew that they make with the peas here in Turkey – it is grandma’s style yet so tasty.
Ingredients (serves 4 – 6)
Half a kilo of green peas
|half a kilo green peas|
150 – 200 grams of meat, cubed
2 medium onions, cubed
1 carrot, ringed
2 medium sized potatoes, cubed
1 spoon of tomato paste
2 sugar cubes
Salt to your liking
3 spoons of olive oil
Warm water (I cannot give any indication here because it will depend on how much water your peas will soak during cooking)
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil for one minute
- Add the carrots and continue sautéing for a minute
- Add the meat and continue sautéing until the meat releases its water and soaks it again.
- Add the peas, the potatoes and the tomato paste and mix.
- Add warm water just to cover the peas.
- Cook until the peas are soft. That might take longer than 30 minutes. Check if the peas are soft while cooking, if they are not yet soft and they soaked the water you added, add some more warm water just above the peas. Make sure that you always add warm water; never cold!
|green peas stew with meat and potatoes|