(Recipe in English is below. Felemenk usulü firinda hindiba tarifi için burayi tiklayin)
Chicory is something I discovered in Belgium. In Flanders, they have this grandma style dish – it is just so simple and yummy!
Being typical myself in the kitchen, I added some extra ingredients to the recipe: sausage and spanish pepper. But you are free to omit them if you would prefer to stay true to the recipe! This is a Flemish dish however it's also Spanish and/or Turkish inspired as well :-)
I hope you enjoy it guys!
Ingredients (Serves 1 - 2):
3 chicory, the outer leaves are taken away and the bitter base cut out
3 pieces of ham (6 if you are in Turkey as the ham is smaller here)
1 merguez sausage (optional)
1 red spanish pepper (optional)
150 – 200 gr. grated cheese
Water to boil
For the Béschamel sauce:
1 – 2 spoon(s) of butter
1 – 2 spoon(s) of flour
1 – 1.5 glasses of milk
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees celcius.
- Boil the chicory in water and keep apart until it releases some water.
- For the beschamel sauce: melt the butter and add the flour to it and stir until the flour is incorporated in the butter (or until you don’t smell the flour anymore). Pour in the milk very slowly and bit by bit by whisking it. When you have a creamy thick texture, your sauce is ready.
- Roll the chicory in the ham.
- Pour the half of the Béschamel sauce in an oven dish.
- Scatter half of the sausage and the peppers over the sauce.
- Place the chicory rolled in ham in the oven dish.
- Scatter the rest of the sausage and the peppers and pour the rest of the Béschamel sauce over the chicory.
- Scatter the rasped cheese on the dish and cook in the oven at 180 degrees celcius until the cheese turns light brown (15 – 20 minutes)
|step 7 and step 8|
|Flemish style chicory with ham|