Tuesday, April 24, 2012

ARABIAN CACIK (ARABIAN TZATZIKI)


(Recipe in English is below. Arap cacigi tarifi için burayi tiklayin)

Here in Istanbul, there is a kebab restaurant that we visit every now and then. There they serve this meze which they call “Arap cacığı” (Arabian Cacik) - something we like! I am not sure anymore how they prepared it but this did not stop me from trying their Arabian cacik at home! So I am not sure what they call Arabian cacik is the same as mine, but who cares? I can assure you that what I made at home had this mild taste that was really good and accompanied the vegetable dish that I made very well! I think you can serve this cacik next to anything!  

The restaurant serves their cacik with tiny bulgur balls that are fried. I had some bulgur balls in my deepfreeze from the other day that I made some bulgur balls in sour sauce (click here for the recipe). I had put them already boiled, so the only thing I did with them was to defreeze them in the microwave. If you don’t have any bulgur balls available at hand, you can try to serve this yoghurt meze with meatballs or so as well. Or just omit the bulgur balls! I think it will still be very tasty!

Ingredients (makes 1 small plate of mezze)
1 courgette, in small cubes

I cubed the courgette












3 – 4 spoons of strained yoghurt (or greek yoghurt)
Coriander / cilantro, as much as you like, chopped fine (I added as much as seen in the picture but I really love coriander and cannot get enough of it! But if you do not want the strong taste of coriander dominating every other taste so much, then I suggest you to add much less than the amount as in the picture!)

coriander












As many bulgur balls as to spread over the meze plate (10 - 12 of them if they are as big as mine) For the recipe of bulgur balls you can click here
1 – 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Salt

Method:
  1. Steam-cook the courgette cubes for about 10 – 15 minutes.  Set aside to cool down.
  2. Distill the strained yoghurt with water to your taste. Add the crushed garlic, the coriander and the salt and mix.
  3. When the courgette cubes cooled down a bit, mix them into the yoghurt mixture.
  4. Garnish with the bulgur balls and serve.

Step 1 - I steam-cooked the courgette in cubes
Arabian cacik

Arabian cacik

 

No comments:

Post a Comment