Friday, May 11, 2012

HOME MADE MULBERRY JAM

Last week the mulberries that I bought were a bit too much so I made some jam with them.
I browsed the internet for the recipe. For jam, they talk about at least 1 kg of sugar for 1 kg of fruit. For the mulberries this is 1.5 kg sugar. As it was the first time I made jam, I used the amounts indicated. But oh boy! I should have know; it is Turkish style: sickeningly sweet! I regret that I added so much sugar really. Next time, I will add less than 1 kg of sugar for the mulberries; because they are sweet enough anyway!

Ingredients:
1 kg of mulberry; washed (throw away the bad ones as they will only ruin the taste of your jam)
Max 1 kg of sugar (please note the comment above)
Juice of 1 lemon

Method:
  1. In a big deep sauce pan, take the ingredients by placing them layer by layer: one layer of mulberry, and one layer of sugar over it. Let the mulberries rest for 2 hours with the sugar.
  2. Heat the mulberries with the sugar and the lemon juice on low fire until the sugar melts. Let it boil. Continue boiling for 10 minutes more.  Skim off.

Step 1
Step 2















Step 2

home made mulberry jam

No comments:

Post a Comment