Friday, May 11, 2012

GOLDEN THISTLE WITH LAMBS MEAT


In the past weeks I discovered the golden thistle plant :) I tried three different recipes with it and I guess my favourite one will be this one (Click here for the golden thistle recipe with chicken); it is delicious! 

I notice that I have not posted the other recipe with golden thistle yet but it will be here soon!

Ingredients (serves 4 – 5)
1 kg golden thistle, washed and drained. Cut roughly into 2 – 3 pieces
1 onion, cubed
300 gr. Lambs meat, cubed
2 – 3 spoons of olive oil
1.5 – 2 glasses of warm water
Salt
For the liaison
1 egg yolk
1 spoon of flour
The juice of 1 lemon(you may consider adding more or less than this amount depending on how much you like sour)

Method:
  1. Take the meat to the pressure cooker and saute it on high heat. When the colour turns a bit and the meat sticks to the cooker, add the olive oil and mix; cook the meat a few minutes more until it releases some water and soaks that water back again.
  2. Add the onion and sauté 2 – 3 minutes more.
  3. Add the golden thistle and saute for 2 minutes more.
  4. Add the warm water and close the lid and pressure-cook it for 10 minutes.
  5. In the meantime, prepare the creamy sauce: whisk the liaison until the flour dissolves well.
  6. When the golden thistle is cooked, take a soup ladle of the water in the pressure-cooker and mix it fast into the liaison. After that, pour the liaison into the pressure cooker and mix. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes more until the smell of the flour disappears. Add salt, mix and serve.

Step 2
Step 4

GOLDEN THISTLE WITH LAMBS MEAT

GOLDEN THISTLE WITH LAMBS MEAT
 

2 comments:

  1. Being in the United States, I was unfamiliar with golden thistle! When I looked it up I see not a thistle at all, but a member of the Chicory family. I will have to try this recipe substituting chicory then. Thanks for sharing! Adore your blog! Found you through my friend Sandra, Wildcraft Diva :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and even leaving a comment! wow!!! :))) I should also thank Sandra :)

    Actually sometimes I am not really very sure if I pick the right term in English for these plants. I have this culinary book on edible plants with Turkish-English terms, but there they state a few different terms for one plant. I think this one is also called common golden thiste or spanish oyster plant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scolymus_hispanicus)

    Anyway, I am not really sure if this plant is a member of chicory family. In any case, if you'd like to substitute it with chicory (why not?) I would suggest to cook the chicory in fewer minutes because common golden thistle as I used in this recipe needs some time to get soft really!

    Hope you enjoy your meal :) xx

    ReplyDelete