This is the börek in my dreams! It is extremely delicious!
I used to see goosefoot on the stalls in the open air markets here; but a few years ago I did not like it so much when I tried it raw in the salad. It was too crunchy for my liking. But this plant does just wonders in the börek! A must try!
|goosefoot is just delicious in börek|
Ingredients: (serves 3 – 4)
2 thin flaky dough (known as yufka or phyllo)
For the stuffing:
A handful of mallow, washed and drained
Half a bundle of goosefoot, washed and drained
200 gr. Feta, grated
1 tea spoon of dried red pepper flakes (optional)
For the sauce/milky wash
1 egg white
Half a glass of milk
2 spoons of olive oil
Half a glass of sparkling water
2 spoons of yoghurt
For the top of the börek/ for the glaze
1 egg yolk
Black cumin or sesame seeds
- Keep the stalks and the leaves of the mallow seperately. Steam-cook the mallow leaves for 1 minute. Alternatively you can soak them in boiling water for a minute and take them out immediately. As for the stalks, steam-cook or boil them for 10 minutes as they are harder. Chop the mallow.
- Steam-cook the goosefoot for 1 - 2 minutes. Alternatively you can soak them in boiling water for 1 - 2 minutes and take it out and drain.
- Mix the ingredients of the filling.
- Whisk the ingredients of the sauce. Add 2 -3 spoons of this mixture into the mixture for the filling.
- Lay one of the phyllo over a flat area. Cut it into half. Set one of the halves apart in order to use later. Moisten the phyllo with a 3 – 4 spoons of the sauce (or 6 -7 dessert spoons).
- Take ¼ of the börek filling and place it on phyllo going parallel to the long end of the phyllo. Fold the left and right ends inside with 1 cm. and start rolling the phyllo over the filling.
- Place the roll in an oven dish by giving it a spiral shape.
- Apply the same process for the rest of the phyllo; going over the spiral shape in the middle everytime.
- Brush the egg yolk over the börek.
- Sprinkle the rest of the milky wash over the börek.
- Sprinkle black cumin or sesame seeds.
- Bake the börek until it becomes golden on top in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees celcius.
|Step 1 & 2 - mallow and goosefoot chopped|
|Step 5 - cut the phyllo into two from the middle|
|Step 6 - start rolling|
|Step 6 - that is what you will get after having rolled each phyllo over the filling|
|Step 9 - 10 - 11|
|börek with mallow, goosefoot and feta - just delicious!|